Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Week 52 (ONE YEAR!) Layco District, El Salvador (Zone Leader)-July 18, 2016

Am I Nothing?

Hey guys! We had a baptism this week! Dennis got baptized! The bad news is that literally 4 days before he got baptized we found out that his mom is in fact a less active member of the church (we had only talked to her like twice before and she never mentioned it) so the baptism didnt count for the mission because he is only 8. But hey, he still got baptized! It was awesome and his mom came and is happy to be included in the church again and i think it will help his older sister michelle a lot to decide to get baptized as well. this past week we had a whole lot going on. leadership meeting, interviews with president and hermana adams, and also our zone meeting. very busy week. well as some of you may be able to notice (if you have a calendar and/or are interested in the time i have been out) i will be hitting a year this week. As I already hit a point where I have actually less than a year left on the mission, I have definitely been thinking about what is it that i lack to allow this last year of the mission to be the most productive and beneficial for my life. one of the greatest realizations that i made in all of this, and a topic that has almost haunted all of my studies for the past week or so, is charity. Charity. what greater gift than charity? I have read and pondered and analyzed and prayed over this for quite some time. I have studied and learned much. Especially from one group of scriptures in particular. 1 Corinthians 13:1-7. (you can look it up to save me the time of copying it all down). But just look at that. Is there a more powerful scripture written that can cause man to reflect more on his pitiful self? To wonder in all reality, Am I nothing? I, as a missionary and as a man, can talk with the Spirit. I can speak another language. I can give all of my strength and time to the work of the Lord. I can sell my goods and give to the poor. I can sacrifice my very body and life to save another or for the cause which I stand for. But if i have not charity...I. Am. Nothing. But here is something more. Charity is a very, very delicate thing. Notice the qualities of charity. And reflect. How imperfect are we? How close to nothingness are we? Charity suffereth long! How long have we suffered? How long are we willing to suffer? If it is not long, it is not charity. Patience is a factor. Charity is kind! Speak unkind words, lose charity. Act unkindly, lose charity. Charity envieth not! Love yourself, or lose charity. Envy not, or lose charity. Charity vaunteth not itself! Humility, or lose charity. Be not boastful. Charity seeketh not her own! Be selfless, or lose charity. Be self-centered, and lose charity. Charity is not easily-provoked! Anger is not charity. Frustration and malice is not power. It is weakness. Sister Wutkee once wisely taught me (and my mother may remember as well since she was present in this chat) that anger is not an emotion. It is in fact a reaction to an emotion. Reaction to fear, disappointment, annoyance, etc. Again, be not patient, lose charity. Stir yourself to anger, lose charity. Charity thinketh no evil! How fickle are our minds? How easy is it for us to just think bad on someone else? What harm could it actually do if they know not? Think evil, lose charity. Charity rejoiceth in the truth. Rejoice. We have the truth. If there is one key in life to really be like our perfect Lord and Savior Jesus Christ I am personally convinced that it is charity. The all-encompassing trait of our Redeemer. Now I can in no way say that the path to acquiring charity is easy. In fact, I could say that this attribute would take a lifetime to attain. But I have a year left. And this is my goal. My mission will profit me nothing, I will be nothing, if i have not charity. Do not be disappointed, I will not be perfectly charitable in a year. No one can. But, if I can just be more charitable through all that i accomplish and endure in the mission, my joy will be full. So now the invitation is to join me. Please join me in my own quest for perfection. Our quest for charity. I know that it is worth it. I know that it is hard. Perfection and salvation are not easy. But that is why the reward is so great. I will hit a year this Friday, but my new vision and quest has already begun. Let today be the starting point for your new goals and visions. We mustn´t wait. I love you all very much. Thank you for all of the love and support this past year. I look forward to what more we have to learn in this next one. Have a great week!
Elder Abilez

Pupusa Count: 23

No comments:

Post a Comment